Inspired by German week on The Great British Bake Off we’re bringing you Lebkuchen. The German equivalent to gingerbread, a perfectly spiced biscuit that leaves you all warm and fuzzy! The question is it #criminallygood? Spoiler alert, these may just be becoming a regular here at The Raw Bake Station HQ!
back to all blogs
85g ground almonds
125g ground oats
125g buckwheat flour
3 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground cloves
Pinch of ground nutmeg
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
80g coconut oil
150ml maple syrup
30g coconut sugar
100g dairy free chocolate
50g cashew nuts soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180 and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add the coconut sugar, maple syrup and coconut oil to a small saucepan and warm through until everything is melted and the coconut sugar is dissolved.
- In the meantime add the ground almonds, oats, buckwheat flour, spices, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda to a mixing bowl and mix well.
- To the dry ingredients add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and coconut sugar mix and beat until you have a sticky dough.
- Once a dough has formed, place it in the fridge for around an hour to set and firm up.
- Whilst the dough is in the fridge, start making the toppings.
- To make the cashew frosting add the soaked cashews to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. For a chocolate option, melt the chocolate and leave to one side.
- Once the dough has set, roll the mix out until the thickness of around a pound coin. Using shaped cookie cutters, cut out your desired shapes and place on the baking tray. Repeat until you have no more dough left and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Once the cookies are baked, leave to cool before decorating.
- To decorate, use a mixture of the cashew frosting and melted chocolate to either cover or decorate festively.
Make sure to let us know what you think of these! Will you be converted to Lebkuchen or will gingerbread still have your heart?
The Raw Bake team x